Day 4 was our FAVORITE Day!
We went dolphin watching and snorkeling on the Hoku Nai'a boat tour.
We went out on the boat in the morning. It was beautiful to go along the coast of Oahu.
We learned that the dolphins stay on the south, west side of the island because there is little runoff from rain into the ocean. Because of this, the water is very clear, which is what the dolphins like.
There was a pod of about 30 dolphins that we were able to see. We also saw a sea turtle while we were watching the dolphins.
It was so fun to see them swim around the boat. They also jumped out of the water.
We stayed in the area for about an hour and watched the dolphins.
After we were done, we headed back to the shore to take some of the people back. We had yummy burgers that they cooked on a huge grill on the back of the boat.
After dropping of some of the passengers, we headed back out to snorkel.
I was definitely nervous to be out in the ocean with just a little vest on to keep me safe.
When we got in, it was really cold, but it didn't take long to get use to the temperature and really enjoy all that we were able to see. Right when I got in I looked down and saw a sting ray on the bottom of the ocean. Doug and I stayed close together.
Soon after we got in, a turtle swam up to the top. Doug and I quickly swam over to the area that it was at. The turtle swam right at Doug and I. Our guide told us not to touch it because it was against the law.
Doug and I tried to get out of the way. It swam right between us. It was so close to us... UNBELIEVABLE!
We were able to swim around for almost an hour and just look down and see lots of different fish.
We got back in the boat and headed to a different area to try and see more dolphins and get to snorkel more. We were able to swim for another 45 minutes in the water.
This was definitely the highlight of our trip!
One of the guides swam down and got an octopus to show us.
Doug coming up out of the water...great adventure!












No comments:
Post a Comment